Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Growing Food Has Changed My Life

I Love to hear "success stories" from my seed customers and friends. I asked on my facebook page "How has Growing Food changed you?  If you have removed GMOs from your diet, Have you noticed a difference?"

One of my friends shared this and I just had to share with you.

Raised on a farm back in the 50's and 60's, growing and foraging for our food was the norm. We had a huge garden which not only sustained our family but fed the families Italian restaurant. We were taught what to eat from the wild and how to hunt. I remember Dad being quite adamant about what chemicals he would allow and why we were protected from their use. He was truly an environmentalist before that became vogue. We ate what we grew, gathered and hunted for, nothing wasted.

In the 80's I moved to Florida in an agricultural area and had a good garden, chickens, turkeys and a nothing goes to waste attitude. With 5 children in the house I learned lots about good nutrition and it's importance to young bodies and brains! The last decade has brought about many frightening changes in our food supply and once again I find myself gardening in an ever bigger way, doubling the size of my garden each of the last 5 years. I have learned about GMO's, and some of the awful stuff we are being fed with no regard for long term health. Scary stuff! 


In my opinion, being able to feed my family untainted food grown by me with no chemicals is a step to better long term health and perhaps survival as well. If I buy something in the store it must pass MY test for safety. Pretty scary when the produce manager in private conversation says he like to grow his own for the same reasons eh? 

Now all that is big and important stuff, but I must say that growing my own food has given me a sense of peace and being part of the universe . Never more at peace then when I am in my garden!





I love learning from people!  Her story is amazing.  
Now, from a recent customer:

"Having space to plant a garden has changed me.  Imagine a Utopia where everyone was required to replace their carbon footprint by being required to grow plants.  It'll never happen but it would be cool."


Teaching people how to grow opens up entirely new possibilities.  I am so thankful to have the opportunity to share my knowledge and help people.

Knowledge is Power! Go out and GROW something!

Thanks for stopping by my little spot on the web...Stay tuned for more organic gardening and health related topics.  If you have questions or suggestions please feel free to ask. 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Heirloom-Seeds/229833070442449

Sign up for our E-Newsletter



1 comment:

Lady of the Woods said...

Hi Mary, Serena here. I am ever so grateful for your blog and websites, your seeds and your attentive vigilance to heirloom seeds and growing foods. I am on board. I bought lots of seeds from you and am chronicling my process and progress in growing foods which I've been doing for 10 years but am more serious now than ever. I planted several of the seeds I got from you and they are already above soil! I am so excited! I created a blog just for journaling my gardening especially for South Florida at serenassouthfloridagarden.blogspot.com. I welcome all who can share experience of gardening here.