Monday, October 27, 2014

Nutrients that Give Your Soil a Boost

Everything I add to my soil is either Organic or homemade.  Organic such as Greensand and blood meal or Homemade such as compost and Seaweed tea.

What Nutrients help Boost Your Soil?
GREENSAND
Another amendment that supplies potassium is greensand, which is the powdered natural mineral iron potassium silicate, often called glauconite. Although this rock powder might contain about 20 percent potassium, much of it is locked up in its mineral structure, so only a small percentage is released each year. The rate of release depends on soil conditions, with increasing temperature, moisture, acidity, and organic matter all increasing the rate. This amendment is also valued for its micronutrients, which are elements necessary for plant health required in miniscule amounts.
From Mary's Heirloom Seeds,
"Greensand is a mined mineral rich in soil conditioning glauconite
  • Contains potash and other minerals from natural marine deposits
  • Excellent soil conditioner
  • Carrying a formulation of 0-0-0.1
Greensand turns dense, heavy clay into manageable soil. Greensand is a naturally-occurring iron-potassium silicate that can increase soil's moisture absorption by up to ten times. Also contains over 30 trace minerals."

GYPSUM (not something I add to my soil)
Not every amendment helps plants grow by supplying nutrients; a number of them work in indirect ways. Take gypsum, a mined mineral that is nothing more than cal­cium sulfate (plaster of Paris). Although gypsum does supply plants with the nutrients calcium and sulfur, it is usually applied to improve drainage in clay soils high in sodium, which prevents aggregation of clay particles. The calcium in gypsum displaces the sodium, allowing the clay particles to clump together into larger units through which water more readily drains. Because gypsum has no effect on soil pH, it can supply calcium with no change in acidity. Limestone could supply calcium, but it decreases soil acidity.

SULFUR
Sulfur is another amendment that can improve the physical condition of soils. Sulfur works best in soils that are high in sodium and calcium but where the calcium is tied up because it is insoluble. Soil micro­organisms convert sulfur to sulfuric acid, which dissolves insoluble calcium, and can then displace the sodium to improve the soil in the same way gypsum does. That conversion of sulfur to sulfuric acid means that sulfur can also be used to make soils more acidic.
*I use Coffee Grounds to acidify my soil*

ROCK PHOSPHATE
Rock phosphate is a naturally mined mineral that supplies phosphorus, another major plant nutrient (the “P” in N-P-K). You might find rock phosphate in three forms: colloidal phosphate, soft rock phosphate, and hard rock phosphate. Like greensand, these minerals release a small percentage of their phosphorus each year, the colloidal phosphate a bit faster than the others. These rocks also contain micronutrients.

ALFALFA MEAL: Available in our VEGAN All-In-One
Alfalfa meal is nothing more than ground alfalfa leaves and stems. As a legume, the alfalfa plant absorbs nitrogen from the air. Thus, its foliage is a significant source of nitrogen when added to soil. As the meal decomposes, it releases nitrogen as well as smaller quantities of phosphorus, potassium (its analysis is 2.5-1-1), and micronutrients. Alfalfa also contains the plant hormone triacontanol, which can boost plant growth.

SOYBEAN MEAL: Available in our VEGAN All-In-One
Nitrogen is the third major plant nutrient (the “N” in N-P-K), and one way to supply it is with soybean meal. This amendment is often specifically recommended as a nitrogen food for plants needing acidic soils. In such soils, the breakdown of raw soybean meal to usable nitrogen proceeds only to the point of putting it in a form enjoyed by such plants. In fact, soybean meal (or cottonseed meal, which is nutritionally equivalent but usually more expensive) can be used to feed any plant, and it does so in sync with plant growth, so one feeding can last the whole season. Be careful, though: Used excessively, seed meals can burn roots, overstimulate plant growth, and take on the aroma of a dead animal

AZOMITE
From Mary's Heirloom Seeds,
"Azomite rock dust is a naturally mined volcanic rock composed of over 70 minerals and trace elements that are essential for optimal plant health. The rock formation in Utah from which Azomite is mined was formed when volcanic ash merged with sea water an estimated 30 million years ago. This mixture of volcanic ash and sea water created a unique source of trace minerals and elements that moist soils are void of. Just like humans, plants require many minerals to reach peak health and vigor. Re-minerlaize your soil with Azomite and your plants will thank you and reward you!"
  • Give Plants the Vital Minerals They need to Thrive
  • Great soil additive for all plants
~~~~~~~

As your plants grow they are using up nutrients from the soil.  It is VERY important to replace those nutrients on a regular basis.  Here are a few simple graphics to help you decide if you need more nutrients in your soil.



Remember, if you wait until your plants are showing deficiencies then you've waited too long!  If you have additional questions please feel free to ask.


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Heirloom-Seeds/229833070442449

Sign up for our E-Newsletter



14 comments:

Rena said...

This is such great information! Thanks so much for sharing it. I am stopping by from the gathering spot and wanted to check this out, so glad I did.

Kyla - House Of Hipsters said...

Thanks for sharing! I think my snake plant is either diseased or chemically burned...but it came that way. hmmmm Kyla @ http://houseofhipsters.com/

Audrey said...

Found this on Treasure Box Tuesday. I have clay so hard that you have to soak it before you can dig deeper than 6 inches or so. Great for my California native plants, not so much for edibles.

I will have to look into the greensand.

Janet Pesaturo said...

Thanks for the summary and the infographics. We use compost every year, and every few years add greensand and either rock phos or bone meal. Works really well. Pinning this.

Purfylle said...

I don't know why I find it so hard to remember this stuff, I look at a plant and I think 'ohhh it's deficient in something I wonder what' Well I've pinned your chart now and I will be able to go and check whenever I need to. Thanks so much.

Unknown said...

This is great information to have when growing plants, something I'm not very good at except with my vegetable and herb garden. Thanks for sharing!

Marla said...

Thanks for all this great information you have provided Mary. I am going to save this for further reference. Shared on twitter & pinned.

Unknown said...

Hi Mary,
This information and these infographics are so handy and helpful. Thank you for enlightening us about organic nutrients that boost the soil at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing!

Unknown said...

Hmm, do I need to add manganese or get rid of cabbage moths? Probably both. :) Thanks for linking up to Show Me Saturday!

Unknown said...

Great information! I've never heard of greensand before! thanks for sharing your post on the HomeAcre Hop, hope to see you again tomorrow! - Nancy

The Home Acre Hop

Unknown said...

I have a endless summer Hydrangas when I bought was gorgeous but after a couple months in ground looks unhealthy. Thought I was over watering so I carefully check moisture every morning. Bloomed faded and tips of leaves are dried and brow. Would this be a deficinsy in soil?

SoundSoil.com said...

Do you want to know how to improve clay soil of your garden? Then visit SoundSoil.com.

Nisha Mathur said...

Nice information.. Thanks for sharing this blog. see my website also
21st Century’s Signs is a name to reckon with in presenting a broad range of inventive signs at an unrivaled quality... VIEW MORE:- ACP signage Manufacturers

Martha said...

I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com