Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dreaded Mosquitoes

Another gorgeous day in sunny South Florida!

My new favorite friend is Deep Woods Off. I have tried to garden without chemical help. While the organic garden is thriving I have been miserable. Monday night I went out into the garden after work to plant 3 tomato seedlings. I was almost finished when my legs started to burn. I was wearing pants so I figured it couldn't be mosquitoes.

Boy was I wrong!

I almost couldn't finish planting. Running through the house to the bathroom, stripping off clothes as I went the lightbulb came on in my head...I got bit through my pants. Those sneaky suckers! I counted 15 bites on my backside alone.

The moral of this story: If you already know mosquitoes consider you a delicacy, SPRAY yourself down with repellant!

2 comments:

pinkie said...

Mary, Consider using something besides off, which has a chemical in it that is harmful. I believe it's Deet, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I've read that Neem is totally safe. I buy it for my dogs and spray it on plants in my garden when I don't feel like making a homemade remedy. Here's a link to Dr. Andrew Weil's website and his suggestions, http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/WBL02132/Natural-Bug-Repellent-Better-Than-DEET.html
Good luck with the garden. Carol Pink Shovel

Mary Smith said...

Thank you for the info. I used Off simply because it was handy but I'm looking into a safer alternative.